Urology, Plastic Surgery & Reconstructive Surgery “Bridge”
Professor Dr Sava V Perovic always invited scrutiny of his education, qualifications, decades of experience, credentials, and surgical expertise. On this page we’ve provided some fundamental information for our site visitors interested in learning more about this legendary surgeon.
If you are considering female genital modification, male genital modification, this info will help you discuss with your personal physician the possible benefits, risks and potential complications of having the Sava Perovic Foundation Surgical Team perform your surgery.
The Perovic Surgical Team came to Thailand a number of times in the past but has no plans to return to the Far East. And we feel there is no surgeon in Thailand who can come close to providing surgical solutions approaching those of the Perovic Foundation.
Thailand's most senior, most successful, most respected, most famous plastic surgeons periodically go to the Sava Perovic Foundation for advanced training. They were among Dr Perovic's closest friends and remain some of Foundation Chairman Dr Rados Djinovic's closest friends.
Here you will find answers to these and other questions:
- Who was Sava Perovic? (A “god” of urological reconstructive surgery with over 20,000 patients.)
- What were Dr. Sava Perovic’s qualifications?
- What's was the educational background of Dr Perovic?
- How long long did Dr. Perovic do genital modification? (nearly 4 decades!)
- Of which medical associations and societies was Dr Sava Perovic a member? Is he a member of any urological association?
- Did Dr. Perovic publish any books, articles or professional papers in reputable journals or publications? (More than 100 publications!)
- Was Sava Perovic ever invited to lecture at any reputable institutions around the world? (More than 40 lectures and locations from South Africa to Russia and Thailand to Denmark.)
- Was Dr Perovic invited to any professional and educational institutions as a visitng professor of urology? (More than 21 times and institutions in 10 countries, excluding 2007-2009.)
- How many times had Dr. Perovic been invited to perform urologic surgery and where? (More than 65 times around the world — here are details.)
- Did Sava Perovic receive any special awards or honors? (More than 10 and he continues to receive them post mortem! Here are details.)
- Was Sava Perovic really the best urological reconstructive surgeon of our time? (Very likely.)
- Were there any complex male urogenital system problems he couldn't solve or female genitourinary system problems too difficult for him and the Sava Perovic Foundation? (No.)
Medical Association Memberships of Dr Sava Perovic
Dr Perovic is a member of 17 prestigious professional associations, societies and academies:
- AAP - American Academy of Pediatrics - Section of Urology, Affiliate Member
- AAPS - American Academy of Phalloplasty Surgeons
- AUA - American Urological Association, Corresponding Member
- BAPS - British Association of Paediatric Surgeons, Full Member
- BAUS - British Association of Urologic Surgeons
- DGU - German Urological Association, Honorary Member
- EAU - European Association of Urology, Full Member
- ESGURS - European Society for Genito-Urinary Reconstructive Surgery, Board Member
- ESPU - European Society of Paediatric Urology, Full Member
- ESSM - European Society of Sexual Medicine, Board Member
- GURS - Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgery, Active Member
- HBIGDA/WPATH - Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association
- HUA - Hungarian Urological Association, Honorary Member
- PUA - Polish Urological Association, Honorary Member
- RUA - Romanian Urological Association, Honorary Member
- SPU - Society for Pediatric Urology
- WHO - World Health Organization, Urological Reconstructive Surgery Section, Board Member
Who was Professor Dr Sava V Perovic, MD, PhD?
Dr Perovic was a professor of urology, surgery and pediatric surgery at the University of Belgrade in Serbia. (Formerly Yugoslavia.)
For many, many years and until his death, he headed the Department of Urology at the University Children's Hospital, also in Belgrade, where he was born on 21 February 1947.
The professor's pioneering work regarding genital modification built a bridge over the gap between urology and plastic surgery and reconstructive surgery, leading to him being widely regarded as the world's very best top urological surgeon, especially for children with congenital defects & urethral anomalies.
He was a medical doctor (MD) from May 1973 when he graduated from University of Belgrade's School of Medicine until his untimely death in April 2010.
Dr Perovic acquired his Master's degree there in October 1979 and got his doctorate degree (PhD) in June 1982.
He was a surgeon of the University of Belgrade's School of Medicine from October 1978, a urologist from December 1980, and a Professor of Surgery and Urology there from May 1991.
‘Visiting’ Professor Dr Sava V Perovic
Dr Perovic was a visiting professor at many European, American and Asian universities, including: (Note: that this list lacks his activities of the past seven years!)
- Urethral Stricture. Repair with Dorsal Onlay Urethroplasty. International Meeting on Reconstructive Urology, Hamburg, Germany, 28 February to 2 March 1999.
- One-stage Anterior Hypospadias Repair. 2nd European Society for Male Genital Surgery Congress, Milano, Italy, 25-27 November 1999.
- Epispadias Cripple (re-doing surgery) and Congenital Penile Curvature. Urologische Klinik, Universitaet, Bonn, Germany, 11-12 July 2000.
- Penile Disassembly Technique. Children’s Hospital, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, 30 November 2000.
- Penile Curvature. European Society for Pediatric Urology Annual Course, Varese, Italy, 6-7 October 2000.
- Buccal Mucosa Urethroplasty and Anterior Urethral Stricture - Repair with Vascularized Flap. Urologia in Europa, Milano, Italy, 23-24 November 2001.
- Penile Disassembly in Peyronie’s Disease. 3rd Congress of the European Society for Male Genital Surgery, Barcelona, Spain, 22-24 November 2001.
- Epispadias Cripple. Kanton Kinderspital, Luzern, Switzerland, 12 April 2001.
- Disassembly Technique. 5th Congress of the European Society for Sexual and Impotence Research, Hamburg, Germany, 1-4 December 2002.
- Clitoridoplasty. 5th Congresso Nazionale Societa Italiana di Chirurgia Genitale Maschile, Trieste, Italy, 5-6 July 2002.
- Surgical Correction of Severe Congenital Penile Deviation and Surgical Correction of Peyronie’s Disease. 3rd International Meeting on Urology, Ancona, Italy, 11-13 July 2002.
- Bladder Neck Reconstruction. Kanton Kinderspital, Luzern, Switzerland, 14 April 2002.
- Epispadias Cripple. Klinik fur Urologie, Universitaet, Bern, Switzerland, 16 April 2002.
- Buccal Mucosa Urethroplasty. Klinik fur Urologie, Universitaet, Bern, Switzerland, 6 October 2002.
- Phalloplasty - Buccal Mucosa Urethroplasty and Implantation of Penile Prosthesis. Department of Urology, University of Warsaw, Poland, 12 September 2002.
- Epispadias Repair in Adults. Klinik fur Urologie, Universitaet, Bern, Switzerland, 9 May 2002.
- Re-Doing Transsexual Surgery. Mount Sinai Hospital, Miami Beach, Florida, USA, 4 March 2003.
- Primary Epispadias Repair in Infants. Symposium der Kinderurologie, Mainz, Germany, 16 January 2003.
- Total Penile Reconstruction Following Bladder Exstrophy and Penile Ectopy. Department of Pediatrics Surgical Unit, Pecs University, Pecs, Hungary, 15-18 February 2003.
- Female to Male Surgery. International Meeting of Advanced Surgery for Pelvic Statics and Urinary Incontinence, Peruggia, Italy, 11-15 May 2003.
- Peyronie’s Disease. The Urologic Clinic, Tessaloniki, Greece, 13 June 2003.