Bangkok IVF Treatment & Gender Selection
Treatments & Costs • About Hospital • Twins • ICSI
Inclusions | Exclusions • Working Hours • Your Cycle Schedule • Success Rates
Infertility treatment at JCI-accredited and ISO-certified The Hospital in Thailand is advanced and affordable — about 60% LESS than mid-range in vitro fertilization costs in the USA.
The Hospital Executive Directors The Persons were personally asked by the director of Medical-Tourism-in-Thailand.COM to consider making their great medical facility available to international medical tourists so they also could get the same good care provided to the eastern Bangkok Thai community. They have agreed.
For many months, Medical-Tourism-in-Thailand.COM also encouraged the hospital management to offer the best pricing possible for international medical tourists. The prices quoted on this page are the final result. The promotion on PGD is only for the 3rd quarter of 2011 and ends on 30 September. This information was current as of 27 July 2011.
We believe you will find the cost of IVF is nearly Euros 1200 LESS than the IVF fees charged by other IVF programs in Bangkok. In addition, the IVF charges already include the cost of the appropriately high doses (up to 1900 units) of the expensive infertility drugs usually needed by Europeans, Americans and all women 35 or older. Because the drugs cost US$300/300 unit ampoule, other service providers often include only 1200 units of the drug in their quoted package price and add more at additional cost later.
Unlike more expensive infertility treatment providers in Bangkok that are merely a clinic and sometimes just rented office space or rented floor space in the same building as a hospital:
- The Hospital's 11-year-old fertility clinic is part of its Obstetrics, Gynecology & Endoscopy Department comprised of 15 examination and consultation rooms with 19 registered nurses, doctor's assistants and customer service staff supporting the two fertility doctors dedicated exclusively to infertility treatment, including in vitro fertilization IVF, ICSI and gender selection PGD.
- The Hospital Bangkok is an 18-year-old full service hospital in Thailand comprised of it's own group of multiple, modern, hi-rise buildings in eastern Bangkok.
- The Hospital Bangkok is the flagship of the nine hospitals providing treatment in Thailand which are owned and operated by The Hospital Group, one of Thailand’s largest and most respected.
- The Hospital fertility hospital is accredited by the USA's Joint Commission International (JCI) as providing world class quality health care.
- The Hospital has long been certified ISO 9002:1994 compliant by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO aka Organisation internationale de normalisation). Certification evolved to ISO 9001:2000 within five years.
- The Hospital has long been certified by Thailand's national accrediting body The Healthcare Accreditation Institute (Public Organization).
- The Hospital has it's own embryology laboratory. The infertility lab work of our sister hospital better known by the expatriate and international medical tourist communities, Ramkhamhaeng Hospital, is actually done at The Hospital.
- The Hospital infertility center refrains from the practice of some Thai IVF centers & IVF hospitals in Bangkok to exaggerate IVF success rates and pad statistics. In the years reproductive doctor Dr. The Yaibuates MD has led the The IVF infertility center he has consistently achieved: “a success rate of about 30-40%”. His PGD success is 100%.
- The Medical Assisted Reproduction Technology Center (SMART Center) is licensed to provide Thailand IVF, ICSI, PGD and other infertility treatment.
- A number of medical directors of high profile and highly commercialized Bangkok IVF fertility centers began their professional career as fertility doctors at The Hospital or other hospital in the Ramkhamhaeng Hospital Group before getting bit by the money bug & becoming a businessman first & reproductive doctor second.
- Paying for IVF: Patients can pay for infertility treatment at The Hospital using any type of credit|debit card such as VISA, MasterCard, AMEX or Diner but NOT JCB. Payment can be made in cash using Thai Baht but no foreign currencies. Patients also have the option of paying by electronic money transfer into the hospital's bank account.
- Medical-Tourism-in-Thailand.COM includes honesty in accounting practices, just & transparent pricing, and ethical standards in their evaluation of hospitals in Bangkok providing treatment in Thailand — not only quality of medical treatment. The Hospital Infertility Center is currently the ONLY recommendation of Medical-Tourism-in-Thailand.COM for “Best of Bangkok” infertility services.
Cost of IVF Treatment | All Possible IVF Costs
The Hospital's assisted reproductive technologies (ART) currently include (THAI BAHT PRICES PREVAIL):
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
Baht 150,000 [US$5,083 | €3604 | INR 263,736 | AUD$4,900 | SGD$6,242 | HKD$40,214]
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD | PGS) 5 Color 1-10 embryos (resumes 1 October 2011!)
Baht 130,000 [US$4,334 | €3048 | INR 172,925]
- PGD 5 Color Embryo after First 10, each
Baht 10,000 [US$334 | €235] (PGD 2 Color & 7 color not offered)
- PGD 5 Color 3rd Quarter 2011 Promotion ending 30 September 2011: 1-10 embryos
Baht 99,000 [US$3355 | €2379 | INR 174,066 | AUD$3234 | SGD$4120 | HKD$26,542]
- Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) [Dr The ALWAYS recommends patients opt for ICSI]
Baht 170,000 [US$5,667 | €3985 | INR 252,806 | AUD$5,554 | SGD$7,074 | HKD$45,576]
- Testicular Epididymal Sperm Extraction (TESE), including cost of lab, operating room, doctor's fee, medications
Baht 25,000-30,000 max [US$1,024 | €708 | INR 52,288]
- Testicular Sperm Aspiration (TESA)
same cost as TESE
- Microsurgical Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (MESA)
same cost as TESE
- Microsurgical Epididymal Sperm Extraction (MESE)
same cost as TESE
- Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (PESA)
same cost as TESE
- Microsurgical Testicular Sperm Extraction (MicroTESE)
[price & availability under review]
- Testicular Fine Needle Aspiration (TFNA)
[price & availability under review]
- Laser Assisted Hatching (good for increased pregnancy rate, eggs of women over 37, elevated FSH level, poor quality embryos) [Dr The ALWAYS recommends patients opt for Laser-Assisted Hatching.]
Baht 5,000 [US$167 | €118 | INR 8,734]
- Hormonal Profile Blood Test
Baht 1,500 [US$50 | €36 | INR 2,620 | AUD$49]
- Hormone Medicine in Excess of 1,900 units included in IVF Package (each 300 unit ampoule)
Baht 9,000 [US$300 | €211]
- Embryo Cryopreservation [freezing] for 10 Embryos
Baht 15,000 [US$500 | €352 | INR 26,201]
- Frozen Embryo Storage for 8 Embryos Annually
Baht 25,000 [US$834 | €586 | INR 43,668]
- Embryo Thawing
Baht 30,000 [US$1,000 | €704 | INR 52,288]
- Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET), including all relevant tests & meds
Baht 50,000-60,000 max [US$1,706 | €1179 | INR 87,146]
- Sperm Freezing
Baht 5,000 [US$167 | €118]
- Sperm Thawing
Baht 600 [US$20 | €14 | INR 1,046]
- Sperm Analysis
Baht 600 [US$20 | €14 | INR 1,046]
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI, IUI-H [husband's sperm] and IUI-D [donor's sperm])
[price under review]
- Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT)
no longer offered
- Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)
no longer offered
Here is a currency exchange rate calculator.
The can help coordinate private Thai Egg Donation but it is not a service provided directly by the hospital. (Baht 30,000 | US$1,000 | Euro 704 up to as high as Baht 70,000 | US$2,334 | Euro 1641 and sometimes Baht 100,000 | US$3,334 | Euro 2344.)
Because The Hospital only announced in mid-2011 that their infertility treatment in Thailand was also available to international medical tourists, they are still in the process of making everything they have to offer easily understandable in English and as transparent as possible. At the moment, the Bangkok hospital's offering is as explained below. It will be further clarified soon. Do your due diligence. Read all five of our online articles about The.
Both the man and woman of any couple seeking infertility treatments should have comprehensive physical examinations and health testing before you come to Thailand. That will save you time & money and will make certain, before arrival, that you have no medical conditions that would prevent either of you from going through infertility treatments. All types of physical exams & tests can be done at very affordable prices at The Hospital. However, if any pre-existing condition is discovered that impacts on your infertility treatment, there may be delays, cost may go up unexpectedly & it is possible you will NOT be able to get treatment until your NEXT cycle — or not at all.
The Hospital requires your full name as found in your passport to make an appointment for a consultation or treatment. You must bring your passports to your first appointment with Dr The.
IVF is comprised of four basic steps:
- a course of fertility medication to stimulate egg development;
- surgical retrieval of the eggs the woman produces (ovum pickup);
- fertilization of the retrieved eggs in the laboratory; then 3-6 days later
- one or more strong, healthy embryos are transferred into the woman's uterus.
Included in the cost of in vitro fertilization ICSI IVF treatments for one cycle:
- 1900 units of gonadotrophin medication such as Pergonal, Menogon, Gonal F, Puregon, Pregnyl or Ovidrel, for superovulation (egg development stimulation).
- Suprefact E (buserelin acetate) nasal spray (one bottle).
- Hormonal analysis laboratory tests (Estradiol, FSH, LH) during Day 2 or Day 5 of medicine injections to boost egg production before egg collection and ultrasound to examine development of ovaries.
- 2-3 doses of Organlutran to prevent premature LH surges.
- Follicle stimulating hormone injection (FSH).
- Operating room cost for egg collection and embryo transfer.
- Laboratory cost for embryo care Days 1 to Day 3 (IVF or ICSI Package).
- Vaginal gel and oral hormones taken up to the day pregnancy test is performed.
- Gynecologist and anesthetist fees.
- Serum pregnancy test for B-HCG.
Excluded from ICSI IVF treatment cost for one cycle:
- Physical exam and preparation cost before starting treatment cycle, such as:
- 1a) Medication for preparing uterus before injection of medicine to boost egg production.
- 1b) Laboratory cost for Hormonal Profile Blood Test before injection of medicine to boost egg production.
- 1c) Any other necessary blood tests
- 1d) Any other necessary examinations, scans, analysis, operations, such as:
- injection of dye into uterus
- vaginal ultrasound scan
- sperm analysis
- procedure requiring insertion of scope
The Hospital Fertility Center is open seven days a week.
Weekdays it opens at 8 am, on Saturday at 10 am, and on Sunday at 9 am.
The reproductive fertility center stops infertility treatment at 5 pm on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday but at 7 pm on Monday and Wednesday.
On Saturday, the IVF doctors provide fertility services until 8 pm. But on Sunday they close at 11 am to give the infertility physicians some rest.
Appointments should be scheduled at least ONE WEEK in advance to avoid long waits or being unable to see the doctor on the day you visit because he is fully booked or in surgery.
Egg retrieval (OPU) timing depends on menstrual cycle. Every case is unique and the exact schedule is set by the IVF specialist based on his medical knowledge, the details of your situation and his experience. What usually happens is something like:
- IVF treatment starts on Day 1, 2 or 3 of menstruation with a blood test to establish hormonal profile.
- If hormone level is in the normal range (FSH level < 10 ), hormone injections will start 4-5 days.
- Monitoring by ultrasonogram (ultrasound) will done on Day 5 and Day 7 as well as perhaps Day 8 or Day 9 to adjust the dosage of hormone.
- No need to come to the hospital everyday.
- No need to be hospitalized during treatment.
- Hormone injection pen can be used by yourself:
- one shot each day on Day 2 to Day 5.
- two shots each day on Day 6 to Day 8.
- After fertilization, embryos will be cultured 3-5 days, depending on their quality.
- Number of embryos to transfer (or freeze) depends on the quality.
- Blood test can be done 12 days after embryo transfer (in patient's home country or Bangkok)
You should carefully consider in your trip planning the general schedule most commonly used:
- Day 0: Arrive in Bangkok, Thailand (or earlier if you prefer)
- Day 1: Menstruation begins | See reproductive doctor that day or the day before.
- Days 3-11: Follicle Stimulating Hormone (Follistim) (ultrasound on Days 5, 7, 9)
- Day 12: Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) trigger
- Day 14: Egg retrieval (ovum pick-up aka OPU)/ sperm retrieval (TESE, MESA, TESA, PESA or TFNA may be needed)
- Day 17: PGD (optional but required for gender selection), ICSI (optional but always recommended), Laser-Assisted Hatching (
- Day 18: Embryo transfer, Cryopreservation of remaining embryos (freezing optional but good investment)
- Day 19: Depart Thailand (optional)
- Day 30: IVF Pregnancy Test (blood test) in your home country or wherever you prefer.
In both ICSI and IVF, eggs and sperm (gametes) are collected from each parent.
In IVF, eggs & sperm are mixed together in a dish and fertilization is achieved without further assistance because there are plenty of strong, healthy sperm.
ICSI is used when sperm is weak or limited or other factors inhibit fertilization. The embryologist picks up a single sperm with a fine glass needle and injects it directly into each egg in the laboratory using specialized micromanipulation technology & equipment. The sperm only needs to fertilize the egg and start the embryo. ICSI results in an egg fertilization rate of 60-85%.
Dr X ALWAYS advises patients to opt for ICSI (more embryos to sort, grade, implant, freeze, store) unless the patient is determined to use only IVF. Then he will concede to the wishes of the couple.
You are welcome to stay anywhere in Bangkok. The hospital is easily accessible from anywhere in Bangkok or Thailand.
All treatment is on an out-patient basis. You do not stay at the hospital. You can lodge and eat anywhere you want whenever you want.
Medicine offers no guarantees. Read this article on risk inherent in all surgery.
IVF twins tend to be born premature and with low birth weight.
Twins or other multiple births introduce more risk so you must carefully consider all factors before making such a decision.
There is risk of fetal death as well as risk of long-term complications for mother and children.
Uterine size as measured by transvaginal ultrasound (hysterosonometry | HSM) is a good indication of whether you could carry twins to full term.
Previous uterine distention by previous pregnancies significantly reduces risk of carrying twins.
The three basic size categories are:
- Group 1 (uterus height less that 63 mm)
- Group 2 (average size uterus of between 64-70 mm) and
- Group 3 (uterus height greater than 70 mm).
Group 1 women are significantly more likely to have babies born severely premature.